GREEN RIVER — Green River High School announced the school’s 2020 Hall of Fame Class.
The Hall of Fame football game will take place on September 11, 2020 against Buffalo at 7 p.m. at Wolves Stadium. On September 12, 2020 the Hall of Fame banquet and social will take place at 5 p.m. at GRHS and 7:30 p.m. at the Hampton Inn in Green River, respectively.
The following have been inducted into the GRHS Hall of Fame:
Dr. Marlene Tromp
- Current President of Boise State University
- Campus Provost of the University of California at Santa Cruz
- Dean and Provost of Arizona State University College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences Department
- Vocational education teacher at GRHS for 20+ years
- GRHS students earned 17 championships at the Wyoming State Industrial Arts Fair under his leadership
- Successful basketball coach as well as a driver’s education teacher
1976 GRHS Football Team
- 1976 Wyoming High School State Football Champions
- Several players from this team also coached the 2004 GRHS state championship football team
- Many players still live in Green River and give back to the community through involvement in youth sports
Don Van Matre
- 20+ years US Army Lieutenant Commander for various Army and Army Aviation Units in Korean and Vietnam Wars
- Commanded Albrook Army Airfield in Panama
- Elected Mayor of Green River in 1980’s and was appointed as head of the Southwest Wyoming Veteran Services
- Offices by the Sweetwater County Commissioners
- US Naval Aviator and educator at the Office of Naval Research and the Naval War College
- Pioneered the creation and development of the new Maritime Patrol Tactical Air Crew protocols and procedures
- Selected as one of the first Naval Tactical Coordinators
Congratulations to the 2020 Hall of Fame Class!