LARAMIE — The University of Wyoming School of Pharmacy’s annual White Coat Ceremony took place March 29 in the UW College of Arts and Sciences auditorium.
The White Coat Ceremony symbolizes passage into the initial stages of the profession of pharmacy practice and represents a contract for excellence in providing compassionate patient care. The event also highlights the importance of scientific scholarship, and emphasizes the highest principles of moral and ethical conduct.
Green River resident Victoria Evans and Rock Springs resident Kiana Corley both received their white coats at the ceremony.
School of Pharmacy Dean Kem Krueger spoke to the students about the symbolic importance of their coats and the excitement of starting their first experiential rotations this summer. He also praised the Class of 2024 for “beginning the professional pharmacy program during extraordinary times and demonstrating perseverance during online learning.”
Members of the Class of 2024 will finish their introductory pharmacy practice experiences (IPPE) this summer, completing introductory hospital and community rotations throughout Wyoming and Colorado.
IPPEs are an opportunity for students to apply information learned from their didactic coursework into the real world of pharmacy practice, Krueger says. Rotations also offer the chance to engage in and improve upon communication skills with patients and other health care professionals.
The White Coat Ceremony can be viewed here.
UW pharmacy students, listed by hometowns, are:
- Algonquin, Ill. — Chloe Bukvich
- Casper — Caitlin Porter and Samantha White
- Colorado Springs, Colo. — Erin Bertsch, Lindsey Little and Shelby Oroo
- Douglas — Taylor Campbell
- Erie, Colo. — Jalen Gonzales
- Gillette — Jordan Evans
- Greeley, Colo. — Lucy Sanchez
- Green River — Victoria Evans
- Jelm — Cameron Campbell
- Lalitpur, Nepal — Suyasha Pradhanang
- Lander — Mia Holt
- Laramie — Reyna Bocanegra, Thaxton Cook, Michael McKown and Samuel Williams
- Riverton — Thomas Beasley
- Rock Springs — Kiana Corley
- Sheridan — Riley Rafferty and Haley Timm
- Stayton, Ore. — Brigid O’Flannigan
- Wheatland — Micheal Cochran
- Worland — Madison DuPree and Taylor Noland