The Green River Wolves Speech and Debate team fired up multiple laptops and competed in the 2020 State Speech and Debate competition last weekend.
Originally, the Wolves were set to host this year’s state event. However, an hour before the competition was to start, it was canceled.
“This was a challenging season,” GRHS Speech and Debate Head Coach Dan Parson said.
Despite the state event being canceled and transitions in the coaching staff in the middle of the season, Parson said that the team responded well and met this season’s challenges head on.
The fruit of the Wolves’ efforts was captured during the state competition. Green River claimed fourth place and had 11 students participate this year. The Wolves pushed nine students to the final rounds. Parson said that he was proud of the students and their performance.
Below are GRHS finalists:
- Idia Lopez in Informative Speaking
- Spencer Travis and Dallin Kurth in Extemporaneous Speaking
- Olivia Nielsen in Program Oral Interpretation
- Will Allen and Dallin Kurth in Public Forum Debate
- Spencer Travis in Lincoln Douglas Debate
- Alex Shafe and Lucas Bagshaw in Cross Examination Debate
Congratulations to this year’s team!