Don’t Forget Special Stamps, Permits for Hunting

Don’t Forget Special Stamps, Permits for Hunting

Make sure you're legally ready before heading out to the hunt this season.

CHEYENNE — It’s hunting season, and as the saying, “Ready, aim, fire” aptly advises, now is the time to prepare for your hunt before taking to the field.

Hunters should ensure that in addition to their licenses, they also have the required stamps or permits, a hunter safety certificate and equipment.

“It’s easy to overlook a simple requirement in the excitement of preparing for a hunt,” said Scott Edberg, Wyoming Game and Fish deputy chief game warden.

Advertisement - Story continues below...

“We want everyone to have a good hunting season and ensuring your licenses and safety requirements are in order will give you a great starting point.”

Stamps and permits

Depending on the game you are pursuing and method, hunters may need a variety of additional stamps and permits.

If buying online, hunters need to print their stamps and permits for proof afield–stamps will not be mailed.

Conservation stamps can be saved to a digital device for proof in the field.

Hunters can also donate to Access Yes when purchasing a conservation stamp to support access to more lands for hunting.

Every dollar donated equals 3.1 acres of public access.

Game and Fish requires licensed hunters to have a 2018 Conservation Stamp in addition to their licenses; some exceptions apply.

The stamp is $12.50, and hunters only need one each calendar year. Elk hunters in areas 70, 71, 75, and 77-98 must posses an Elk Special Management Permit.

These stamps and permits can be purchased online, at any Game and Fish regional office or from any Game and Fish license selling agent.

Big game hunters who plan to hunt in the special archery season must also possess one Archery License in addition to their hunting license.

The only exception is for holders of Type 9 archery-only licenses. Waterfowl hunters should make sure they have their Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp (Duck Stamp).

All hunters 16-years-of-age and older must have a Duck Stamp to hunt ducks, geese and mergansers; it’s not required for doves, sandhill cranes, coots, snipe, rails or crows.

This permit is immediately available as an e-stamp and later mailed from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

All migratory game bird hunters need to register for a Harvest Information Program (HIP) permit, including Pioneer and Lifetime hunting license holders.

HIP permits are nontransferable to other states. A separate HIP permit is required in each state where you hunt migratory game birds. Wyoming HIP permits are only available on the Department website.

Fluorescent clothing requirements

Big and trophy game hunters must wear in a visible manner one exterior garment – like a hat, shirt, jacket, coat  or vest – of either fluorescent orange or pink while hunting during the regular hunting season, regardless of what type of weapon they are hunting with.

Archers hunting in the special archery season are exempt from this requirement.

Pheasant hunters are also required to wear fluorescent clothing in certain hunt areas, seasons or locations. Camo fluorescent orange or pink clothing is allowed.

Hunter education

Anyone born on or after Jan. 1, 1966 , must have hunter education to hunt in Wyoming, unless accompanied by a registered mentor.

Hunters must have proof of hunter education in the field which is their hunter safety card or certificate.

If a course was completed in Wyoming in recent years, that number should be printed on each hunting license and serves as proof.

For questions regarding stamps, permits or requirements, call (307) 777-4600.