The National Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s® is scheduled for October 2nd in Sweetwater County.
Saturday, October 2nd, 2021
10AM // Registration at 9AM
- *You will be asked to Register so that Walk will be credited with your donation,
- This is a national event so make sure you have your correct Zip Code and click on Sweetwater County.
- *You can also look up a Captain of a Team by name, or their team’s name to donate and give their team the monetary credit. It is a competition between teams after all.
- It has to be fun as well as meaningful! Any amount is appreciated.
Registration begins at 9 a.m., and the walk begins at 10 a.m. BBQ and raffles begin at 11:30 a.m.
Folks can start their Walk when ready, we ask they stay 6 feet apart while walking the path through downtown Rock Springs, from Bunning Park, under the underpass, through Broadway, down through the Artist Walkway, past the Park Hotel, and return to Bunning Park. It won’t be a long walk, and those who are more comfortable staying at the park are welcome to do so.
*COVID compliant event.
- Sanitation Stations will be set up
- Masks will be available at registration tables
- Folks are asked to bring their own chairs/ blankets to sit on.
- A BBQ will be available to each person attending,
- Tickets will be sold for Raffle items.
- Alzheimer t-shirts will be available for sale.
*We will hand out Flowers at the registration station, for all to carry as we walk through downtown Rock Springs to build a Flower Garden at the end of the walk.
The event is full of flowers, each carried by someone committed to ending this disease.
Because like flowers, our participants don’t stop when something is in their way. They keep raising funds and awareness for a breakthrough in the fight against Alzheimer’s and all other dementia.
Each flower has a meaning: People select their own color.
- If you carry a Purple Flower, you have lost someone to Alzheimer’s
- Blue Flower: you have Alzheimer’s
- Yellow Flower: You are a care giver to someone with Alzheimer’s
- Orange Flower: You support the cause to End Alzheimer’s
Our goal is to share education, information, and awareness of this disease and to fundraise to FIND A CURE. One day, someone will be cured of Alzheimer’s and they will carry a White Flower!
*Since the first Walk in 2013 there has never been a White Flower, but we walk for that day!
Facts About Alzheimer’s
- Alzheimer’s has killed more people than Breast or Prostate cancer combined.
- Over 5 million people have some form of Alzheimer’s.
- 16 million Americans are unpaid care givers of someone with some form of Alzheimer’s.
WHY SANDY DARIF JOINED THE WALK
“I started Walking to END Alzheimer’s to support the cause and my grandmother who passed and had Dementia, I carried an Orange Flower. The next year I walked and carried a Yellow Flower as I was a Caregiver to my mom. She passed away in Nov. 2019 from Alzheimer’s and other medical complications.
This year I walk with a purple flower to honor the passing of both my Grandmother and my mom! Their nicknames are the name of my team, Bert and Boots! This is a debilitating disease. The person you grew up to respect and admire is lost to this disease. It is hereditary, if we do not build the funds for research and awareness this disease will grow, to those of my age. It could be passed on to our children. I am fighting for a cure to be found soon!“
A special thanks to our sponsors:
- Coal Train Coffee
- Castle Rock & The Villa
- Commerce Bank
- Deer Trail Assisted Living
- Brokerage Southwest
- Sidekicks Wine and Book Bar
- High Country Realty
- Cowboy Donuts
- The Radio Network
- Red White Buffalo
- Square State Brewing
- Stellar Coffee
- McFadden Wholesale
- Western Wyoming Beverages