ROCK SPRINGS — The Sweetwater County School District No. 1 Nutrition Services Department has announced that the district will be required to end the free meal program it has been operating under since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic began.
Due to Federal guidelines, beginning in August 2022, the Nutrition Services Department is required to revert back to the way it operated before March 2020. This is a change that is happening nationwide.
Breakfast and lunch will still be available to all students; however, meals will not be free to all students. This means that in order to receive Free/Reduced-price meals, families will need to complete the Free and Reduced-price Meal Application to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.
WHO CAN GET FREE OR REDUCED PRICE MEALS?
- All children in households receiving benefits from SNAP, The Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), are eligible for free meals.
- Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals. Whether placed by the State child welfare agency or a court, in order for a child to be considered categorically eligible for free meals, the State must retain legal custody of the child.
- Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
- Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
- Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.
|FEDERAL ELIGIBILITY INCOME CHART For School Year 2022-2023|
|Each additional person:||$8,732||$728||$168|
**Free/Reduced-price Meals Family Applications will be available July 5, 2022 at the Nutrition Services office located in the Central Administration Building (3550 Foothill Blvd.) or at the beginning of the school year from the secretary at your student’s school.
An online Free/Reduced Application which will become available in early July. A link will be provided once the online application becomes available.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call or email me.