Voters Will Need IDs When Voting at Polls from Now On

Voters Will Need IDs When Voting at Polls from Now On

SWEETWATER COUNTY — Those heading to the polls next Tuesday, November 2, for the special election will want to make sure they have an ID with them.

“People aren’t used to having to show their ID’s at the polls,” Sweetwater County Clerk Cindy Lane said.

According to the Wyoming Secretary of State’s website, effective July 1, 2021, Wyoming voters will be required to show an acceptable form of identification when voting in person. There are many ID options residents can use to prove their identity.

Advertisement - Story continues below...

“They are just verifying that you are who you say you are,” Lane explained.

Any of the following documents will be accepted:

  • WY Driver’s License or ID Card
  • Tribal ID Card
  • Valid US Passport
  • US Military Card
  • DL or ID Card from Another State
  • University of Wyoming Student ID
  • Wyoming Community College Student ID
  • Wyoming Public School Student ID
  • Valid Medicare Insurance Card*
  • Valid Medicaid Insurance Card*

*Medicare and Medicaid insurance cards will no longer be an acceptable form of identification for voting purposes after December 31, 2029.

If voters do not have one of the documents in the list above, they may obtain a free Wyoming Identification Card from the local Driver Services office, Lane said. Click here to find the nearest office.

Lane said to make the voting process go smoothly, residents should make sure they have an ID with them when they vote at the polls.

Voters who mail in their absentee ballot are not required to provide any additional form of identification.

Those who changed their address will want to call the clerk’s office prior to the election to have it changed and to find out where their new polling location is at, Lane said. The Clerk’s Office phone numbers are (307) 872-3732 for Green River and (307) 922-5208 for Rock Springs.