ROCK SPRINGS — By making small adjustments to costume and decoration choices on Halloween, danger and risk to public safety is easily decreased.
“It is important for people to take basic precautions to make sure they have nothing other than a fun-filled Halloween,” says Dominic Erramouspe, President of Rock Springs Firefighters IAFF Local 1499.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, the United States sees an overall increase in fires on Halloween caused by open flames, and the arson fire rate is 10 percent higher than on any other day with 15,500 fires and $92 million in property loss per year.
To ensure a safe and happy Halloween, IAFF Local 1499 offers the following tips:
- Cross streets at the intersection and look both ways before crossing.
- Use battery operated lights, not candles, to decorate walkways. Always keep candles, matches and lighters in a place that children cannot reach. This will make it much safer for trick-or-treaters and decrease the chance of an open flame fire.
- Keep children, costumes and decorations away from open flames and heat sources. Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable.
- Check lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires or loose connections. Make sure they are certified by a recognized organization like the Underwriters’ Laboratory, Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or the Underwriters’ Laboratory of Canada (ULC). Do not overload extension cords. Indoor and outdoor decorative lights can be fire hazards.
- Choose costumes that are flame resistant, comfortable, and easy to walk in and see.
- Pick brightly colored costumes that can be clearly seen by motorists. Add reflective tape to the costume to increase visibility.
Please call 9-1-1 for the help of your local fire fighters in the case of a fire or emergency.
IAFF Local 1499 wishes you a happy and safe Halloween.