GREEN RIVER — Last night’s tragic event in downtown Green River carried over into today when the suspect was apprehended and later died from a self-inflicted firearm wound.
Green River Chief of Police Tom Jarvie and City of Green River officials are offering their deepest condolences to those affected by this tragedy.
City officials issued a statement this afternoon thanking the Green River Police Department, Rock Springs Police Department and the Sweetwater County Sheriff’s office for their help and diligence.
“The dedication of these groups to work and train together on tactical measures prepares them for when it is needed,” said Communications Administrator Steve Core.
Green River Mayor Pete Rust echoed Chief Jarvie’s comments and thanks all three departments for their efforts in ending the incident safely.
Questions have been asked about the Flaming Gorge Days celebration and Mayor Rust and Chief Jarvie said the event will go on as planned with possible minor modifications in affected areas. The Police Department had already planned to staff extra presence for the events since there has not been a Flaming Gorge Days in several years. They have been planning for crowds similar to pre-pandemic levels and expect a safe and peaceful event.
The City of Green River has an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) that provides up to eight visits to Southwest Counseling for all employees and their immediate family members to deal with the grief from last night’s tragedy.
Other private practice therapists licensed in Critical Incidents can be contacted as well.
“We encourage our staff impacted by this tragic situation to utilize this benefit,” Core said. “Please contact Human Resources if you need additional information about our EAP.”
Below are several private practice options:
- WEvolve Counseling – (307) 352-9161
- Clinicians licensed in Critical Incidents, Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing
- (EMDR) & Accelerated Resolution Therapy (ART) in addition to other areas of mental health.
- Wellness Associates – (307) 630-3466
- Treatment areas include PTSD, grief and trauma.
- Professional Counseling Services LLC – (307) 241-4888
- Treatment areas include trauma and PTSD.
- High Point Counseling – (307) 459-3239
- Treatment areas include grief, trauma and PTSD.
Treatment areas include crisis intervention, trauma and Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy.