GREEN RIVER — Sweetwater County School District (SCSD) No. 2 announced a Voluntary Reduction Incentive Plan (VRIP) in December, in which they offered eligible employees a buyout to retire from the district.
Out of 83 eligible employees in the district, about 17 took the incentive. Eligible employees were offered the following as incentive:
- Certified professional staff were offered $42,000.
- 12-month support staff were offered $22,000.
- 10-month support staff were offered $18,300.
- 9-month support staff were offered $16,500.
- Supervisors were offered $52,000.
- Administrators were offered $62,000.
SCSD No. 2 Business Manger Chris Dean has previously reported that about 81.6 percent of the district’s budget goes to personnel costs. With a decrease in enrollment equaling a shortfall of about $865,000, or 2.2 percent, of the district’s guarantee, the district is forced to make big budget cuts. This incentive aimed to help out with balancing the budget without having to make reduction-in-force layoffs.
It is costing the District $641,000 to provide the incentives to the participating employees, according to Jason Fuss, Human Resource Director and Assistant Superintendent. Fuss said that it will save the district $1 million.
The following employees took the buyout:
- Owen Krysl- 6th grade teacher at Lincoln Middle School
- Lori Hastert- 6th grade teacher at Lincoln Middle School
- John Lee- 6th grade teacher at Lincoln Middle School
- Sara Crow- kindergarten teacher at Truman Elementary
- Patricia Louderback- instructional facilitator at Truman Elementary
- Ranae Evans- 1st grade teacher at Truman Elementary
- Mary Rath- music teacher at Harrison Elementary
- Tamara Noble- special education teacher at Harrison Elementary
- Cathy Hemker- instructional facilitator at Monroe Elementary
- Alesia Robison- counselor at Monroe Elementary
- Karen Munoz- ELL paraprofessional at Monroe Elementary
- Kathleen Huber- SPED administrative assistant
- Darlene Munoz- custodian
- Janet Celli- payroll lead
- Bonnie Nielson- accounts payable
- Lavonne Wadsworth- bus driver
- Sandra Lee- bus driver