The Garden Expo in Lander, Wyoming is celebrating their 10th Anniversary!
The event is Saturday, April 23rd at Lander Valley High School (350 Baldwin Creek Road) from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
If you’ve not yet attended this event–you’re missing out!
Historically, 1500 people attend. The event is geared toward folks that can’t wait to get into the garden each spring, enjoy enhancing their backyard, or love recreating in the great outdoors.
The Expo has two main components: a trade show and workshops. You can come and go as you please and there are concessions if you chose to make a day of it. Also featured at this family-friendly event are a petting zoo of barnyard animals, a “Kid’s Corner”, and horse drawn wagon rides!
Best of all, its all FREE!
Expert speakers will cover the following topics throughout the day:
- Growing Apples – Come learn about growing apples from Jack States who has 50 years of experience.
- Local Food Groups Panel Discussion – Representatives from Central Wyoming College, Lander Valley Farmers Market, Fremont Local Foods, and Wind River Sovereignty Project will discuss food security options and opportunities for buyers and sellers.
- Raspberry Production & Processing – Greg Jarvis will share insight from his extensive experience as a grower of raspberries and producer of raspberry products for his business Raspberry Delight Farms.
- Wildscaping – Dennis Brown, Cheyenne Landscaper & Nurseryman, will provide an overview of using native plants and discuss “Wildscaping” and a “Baker’s Dozen” of native plants that can work in Wyoming’s harsh climate.
- Plant Propagation – Scott Skogerboe, Fort Collins Wholesale Nursery, will share his propagating secrets learned during his 30 years of experience in growing over 7 million trees and shrubs.
- Oh Deer, We Have A Problem -Griff Sprout, Sprouts Greenhouse, will share ways of dealing with deer on a plant level and management level to maintain a beautiful landscape in deer country.
- Organic Gardening – Shannon Kelly, Sprouts Greenhouse, will discuss the processes that a grower must take in order to become certified organic. She’ll also cover some organic and natural products and methods you can apply to your own garden.
- Tree Care – Andrew Young, Fairfield Tree & Lawn, will share helpful tips for keeping your trees actively growing and healthy.
Keynote speaker Scott Skogerboe will present
“Growing Fruit in Wyoming”
Scott is the chief propagator at the Fort Collins Wholesale Nursery. His claim to fame is his tracking down the last living apple tree planted by Johnny Appleseed. Scott will arm you with knowledge and strategies to overcome the challenges of growing fruit in Wyoming.
If you have any questions, call Popo Agie Conservation District at (307) 332-3114.
We hope to see you there!
We’d also like to say a special thanks
to our “Perennial Partners” in our 10th year:
Lander Valley Farmers Market
Wyoming Game & Fish Habitat Program
Fremont County Weed & Pest
Pushroot Community Gardens
These vendors have been with us from the very beginning.
We appreciate their help in making the Garden Expo a success from its simple beginnings
to what has now become a community event that attracts over 1500 people!