The Yellowstone National Park public affairs office has put out their annual warning to visitors about the dangers of approaching big game, especially during this time of year.
- The elk rut has begun in Yellowstone National Park.
- Bull elk can be extremely dangerous during this time.
- Stay alert! People have been severely injured by elk. Elk run quickly and may change direction without warning.
- Keep at least 25 yards from elk at all times.
- If an elk charges you, find shelter in your vehicle or behind a tall, sturdy barrier as quickly as possible.
- You are responsible for your own safety.
KEEP YOUR DISTANCE – You should remain at least 25 yards from all wildlife.